Wednesday, November 30, 2011

{Pioneer Woman's Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes}

I bow down to the Pioneer Woman. Seriously, that woman is a food genius. Thankfully, calories do not count on Thanksgiving so I am free to scroll through her hundreds of delicious recipes, picking whichever suits my fancy for one day of the year. Okay, maybe Christmas too.


Enter, the Costco bag of potatoes, which filled half of my sink to the brim. My mom took on the daunting task of washing & peeling, and I jumped in during the boiling/straining/burning limbs portion. Lucky me. 


We made the roasted garlic ahead of time, the night before. It couldn't be simpler. Chop the tips off each bulb of garlic, exposing part of the cloves. Start wrapping in tinfoil, drizzling olive oil into the package before sealing. Pop in the oven for an hour at XX. When it's done, let cool and squish out the garlic cloves. Voila!


When the potatoes are done boiling, strain and place back on the stove, low heat. This helps the steam evaporate so your potatoes will be fluffier. If you happen to have a potato ricer laying around (which I do, because my mom RULES and she bought me one!), use it. It will save your arms from having to mash the potatoes into oblivion, saves time and makes your potatoes so wonderfully fluffy!


I made mashed potatoes once with a fork. Never, never again. 


Then add the two most sinful ingredients. Quickly, before you change your mind and images of your slinky new years dress float into your head. I halved the cream cheese because I let these thoughts run rampant, and have a conscience.


Sweet creaminess. Goodness gracious.


Half & half go into the pot, then the roasted garlic. Get your power arms ready and whip some air into the potatoes for extra fluffygoodness. Salt & pepper to taste, which is code for secretly stuffing your face because you can't resist any longer. 


Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
adapted from the Pioneer Woman
  • 5 pounds russet  or yukon gold potatoes, peeled and rinsed
  • 3 - 5 heads roasted garlic
  • 1-1/2 stick  salted Butter (3/4 Cup)
  • 8 oz. softened cream cheese (I used 4)
  • 1/2 cup half & half
  • Salt to taste
  • Black Pepper to taste
- Cut the peeled potatoes into pieces and cook in boiling water until fork-tender (about 30 minutes).
- Drain water and return to pot, rice/mash potatoes over low heat until the steam has escaped.
- Mash in softened butter, cream cheese, half-and-half, and salt to taste.
- Dump in roasted garlic cloves, stir together, then check seasoning. Be sure there's enough salt.
- Reheat in the oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes before serving. Then, pat yourself on the back for making people's lives better via food.

6 comments:

  1. oh my goodness can't I please just bathe in these mashed potatoes??! ahahah wow they look fantastic! and calorie free too? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks like a very fluffy heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. Ohhh my. Oh my oh my oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely calorie free. Maybe not...but SO WORTH the immediate transfer to my hips/behind.

    ❤ Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! This looks so thick and pillowy. And delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments is the best, it makes my day! ❤K